Re: Conversion: millirad/hr to uR/hr

Charles Willis,

Yes I know about the energy behaviour of the rad/R relationship for
tissue at low energies. Our environment concist of gamma radiation
above 0.1 MeV, with an average of I suppose around 0.5 MeV, so we use
the simple conversion 1 R ~ 10 mSv  (1 R ~ 1 rem) extensively with
our old instrumentation which displays R or mR.

But that was not what I was inquiring, but rather the validation
of new radiation survey meters to display the measurement as
effective dose (mSv or  uSv). Wouldn't it been more correct to
display it as air kerma, since effective dose at least assumes
some additional information about the relationship between the
radiation field and the human body.

I have heard that the reason for displaying effective dose instead of
air kerma is to keep the above very simple conversion with SI units.
It would be very interesting to know if someone have an opinion of
this.

Thanks

Tord P. Walderhaug

Tord P. Walderhaug