Uranium Surprise

          Here's one for all you RADSAFERs with uranium experience.

          Rocky Flats recently began excavation of Trench 1, which was
          used in the late 1950s (note the Y2K-compliant date) to bury
          drums filled with depleted uranium machine turnings and chips
          packed in a coolant called CimCool.  CimCool was primarily
          water with some fatty acids.  Most of these turnings had been
          "roasted" in a high-temp. furnance to oxidize them prior to
          burial.

          After 40-some years, the drums we are finding run from
          nominally intact (whole but with some holes) to rusted
          carcasses.  We have found none with CimCool remaining.  The
          material we are finding in the drums mostly is black, as we
          expected.  BUT, some of the material is a rich yellow-green
          color, which we did not expect.

          In some cases the material from a drum remnant is entirely
          yellow-green.  In some cases, material from a better-condition
          drum is black with a surface coating of yellow-green.

          These drums were shallow buried (~2-3 ft.) and the soils here
          include a fair amount of caliche (calcium carbonate).

          Gamma spec. on a sample indicated that the material is
          primarily U238 (as expected).

          We figure that this yellow-green stuff is some oxide of U, but
          would be interested in knowing which form specifically, and
          how it might have formed.

          Any help?

          Bates Estabrooks
          bates.estabrooks@rfets.gov