Subject: procedures for procedures?
Author:  <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu > at internet-mail
Date:    6/23/98 3:14 AM

    Does anybody have a good process or procedure for reviewing, validating,

    and/or verifying procedures?  I generally see a lot of efforts that are
    based upon walkdowns or committee reviews, but they don't always seem to

    have a set methodology that helps assure adequate coverage of the
    procedure.  We observe problems with procedure implementation that often

    suggest that the review or validation process was not adequate.

    I recall from some training in Process Safety Management a few years ago

    a technique that was referred to as the "What if ..." method.  Each step

    of the procedure was reviewed against a standard list of questions, such

    as "what if this step was done before the previous step, or after the
    next?" "what if this step was not done?" "what if the step was done
    incorrectly?" ... you get the idea.  Anybody have any experience with
    such a method, or can point me towards an appropriate document?

    You may respond to me directly, unless you feel that this is of general
    interest to RADSAFE.  Otherwise, I would be happy to provide a summary
of

    Thanks,

    Doug Minnema, CHP
    Defense Programs