To: -:radsafe @ romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu@INTERNET
cc:  (bcc: Frazier Bronson)
Person From/To:
From: PC:RMS4941 @ aol.com@INTERNET
Date: 06/24/98 01:54:20 PM
Subject: Uranium and Thorium counting

Radsafe,

I am looking for information and references on using Gamma Spec to do soil
sample analysis for Thorium and Uranium (and daughters).  Specifically, I am
trying to quantify the Thorium by counting Ac-228 and Tl-208 (multiplied by
2.8), and the Uranium by counting Th-234 and Pa-234m.  I am using a Canberra
Inspector MCA with a HPGe detector, and Genie PC software, the system was
calibrated with a Eu-152 standard.  We are having trouble getting the proper
peak ID and quantifing the amounts.  Any tips would be appreciated as I am
obviously not an expert in this area.  You may respond to me at
RMS4941@AOL.com.

Thanks in advance

Raeann Shane
Radiological Engineer