Subject: RE: FLUFF stuff - Other glowing things
Author:  carlisles@aecl.ca at hubsmtp
Date:    6/24/98 2:07 PM

The bioluminescence is caused by an enzyme (luciferase) breaking down
ATP, the molecule that is used as a source of energy in biological
processes.  The same reaction makes fireflies glow, and is used in
luminescent lights (I think they're called Cyalume, but I'm not
certain).

I agree that "natural" should not be equated with "safe", and would hope
that toxicity testing would be required before approving the use of
luciferase in cosmetics and food. I would expect the luciferase would be
broken down during digestion, like most other proteins - as long as they
have tested for this, and for allergenicity, I wouldn't be too worried
about eating the stuff.

Sara M. Carlisle
Radiation Biology and Health Physics Branch
AECL, Chalk River Laboratories
Chalk River, ON K0J 1J0
Canada

phone (613) 584-8811 extn 3667