Re: How long do we keep records

Regardless of what a regulatory body states with respect to any record that
pertains to an assessment of a dose, I strongly suggest that they be kept for
the lifetime of the facility, and beyond, when practical. A facility may meet a
regulation by maintaining a record for the established time period.
Unfortunately, a regulatory commitment does not preclude litigation on an
exposure issue. The regulations, such as 10 CFR, states that meeting the
regulations will not pre-empt one from litigation. I suggest that you keep any
record that can be used to reconstruct a dose record. This includes appropriate
survey documentation, investigations performed, modifications to a dose
record, and most importantly, all pertinent documentation pertaining to the
dosimetry worn, and, processing information.

A facility will need all of this, and more, in the event of litigation. Don't go in
empty handed, stating that the regulatory time frames were met, and we
destroyed all of the information. That is technical suicide.

------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director
ICN Dosimetry Division
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
Office: (800) 548-5100 x2306
Fax:    (714) 668-3149

sandyfl@earthlink.net
sperle@icnpharm.com

Personal Website: http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/1205

ICN Dosimetry Website: http://www.dosimetry.com

              - G. K. Chesterton -

The opinions expressed are solely, absolutely, positively, definitely those of the author, and NOT my employer