about procedures for procedures

    I have appreciated all of the comments that I have received so far on
    this topic, both directly to me and on RADSAFE.  Please don't stop now,
    but I wanted to clarify something based upon a couple that I have seen.

    I fully agree that putting on additional layers of reviews is more
    detrimental than benificial, and I am not proposing that.  However, in
    our reviews of incidents within DOE, two of the bigger categories are
    faulty procedures and conduct of personnel.  It appears that half the
    time the procedure is recognized as faulty, and the rest of the time the

    worker gets dinged for doing what he thought was right rather than
    following a bad procedure.  This indicates to me that, at least in DOE,
    we either have problems with our review processes, our we make the
    procedures too difficult to be followed.

    What I am looking for is a different way of doing this, rather than
    adding another layer.  However, most responses that I have received
    indicate that most reviews are still performed in an unstructured manner

    - "unstructured" meaning that the quality of the review depends heavily
    on the thuroughness, completeness, and commitment of the reviewers, and
    not on any particular process by which the review is performed.  For
    example, walkthroughs work great to determine if the procedure will work

    correctly, but often do very little to tell you what could go wrong.
    Those are only discovered on the job.

    Again, I am very appreciative of this discussion. Please consider this
as
    a challenge and not a rebuttal.  Any additional ideas?

    Doug Minnema, CHP
    Defense Programs, DOE
    <Douglas.Minnema@dp.doe.gov>