Re: Computer-Simulated HPGe Gamma-Ray Spectra-Fission gases

Why not trap the iodine and run a spectrum on the collecting medium?
Charcoal has a lot of pore space, so that the fission gases may still
interfere. If memory serves me correctly, some years ago Carl Distenfeld
when he was at BNL developed a silver loaded silica gel which had a much
lower gas collection efficiency. Silver Zeolite also has a lower gas
collection efficiency than charcoal. I don't have a catalog at hand, but I
think that one or the other or both are commercially available.

At 02:10 AM 7/4/98 -0500, you wrote:
>The answer is quite specific to the age of the fission products [i.e. the
Xenon
>composition and the Iodine composition], the detector type, and the sample
>geometry.   So, "real spectra" but from other systems, may not represent the
>situation on your system.  But, based upon TMI experiences measuring similar
>ratios, I suspect you can see I-131, even in the presence of 1000x the
>concentration of Xe133/135.  You may not be happy with the MDA, however.
>
>There is a simple code, SYNTH, that generates spectra for a somewhat
generic Ge
>detector and for a simple cylindrical source geometry. I think I have one of
>the few legitimate copies of it.  I don't know if it is available any more.
>But, if you will fully describe the sample-detector geometry, the Ge
detector
>efficiency, diameter, and thickness, the radionuclides that are present, and
>the concentrations of each of those nuclides, I will be happy to generate
the
>spectrum for you.  But, while it makes  a pretty picture, there is little
data
>validating the accuracy of the results.  It may or may not be sufficient;
you
>will have to decide.
>
>We have much experience designing complex Ge spectroscopy systems with more
>accurate computer codes.  We normally use MCNP to perform primary efficiency
>calibrations of complex sample-detector geometries, such as this.  We have
much
>data validating this process.  We also use MCNP to generate the primary
>detector response characteristics for our ISOCS product, which the user
uses to
>do efficiency calibrations on devices such as this;  but ISOCS doesn't
generate
>spectra.  The input for the MCNP model requires an exact knowledge of the
>source, the detector internals, and everything in-between the source and the
>detector.  To generate full and accurate spectra, including the low energy
>scatter from higher energy nuclides, requires much more modeling.
Everything