Re: Re[2]: NIH: Electric fields pose cancer risk

First my thanks to Glenn (or John Moulder - was it you who wrote that
excellent chem-phys EMF review a year ago BTW? July 1997 if I remember
right) who explained the original questions.

The bottom line is that headlines (at least in Sweden) can be
constructed about anything according to "XYZ CAN CAUSE CANCER" (the
Swedish word for "can" - "kan" is used both in the sense "can" and "may"
which the media exploit - most people probably don't notice alternative
interpretations). XYZ could be carrots, seing yellow color, listening to
a particular politician, you name it. Just because one cannot prove that
certain hypothetical risks do not exist. Therefore this can go on
forever.

And then my best thoughts about Ruth's comments:
>I am even more concerned that, once again, a government agency does not
look at
>accumulated, published, experimental evidence, but instead asks people
what they
>think.  What has happened to the scientific method?
One of our sensational newspapers had the following question out five
months ago: "DO CELLULAR PHONES CAUSE BRAIN TUMORS? (Cast your) VOTE!"
And then the public could give their arguments also (that part was
illuminating). This is part of the entertainment business - in case you
haven't noticed previously.

Think about it for a moment! How much research money wouldn't we save
replacing "the old method" with new way of determining scientific
issues? And we could cut down on complicated education.

Furthermore, there is reason to be concerned about that probably more
than 85% of our (Swedish) political leaders do not know the difference
between an association and a cause effect relationship. If the media say
"FRENCH AND CANADIAN ELECTRICTY WORKERS ASSOCIATED WITH LEUKEMIA" few,
if any, will discuss why U.S. electricity workers may show a (weak)
extra association with another tumor but not with leukemias (discussed
in Science some 3-4 years ago). Hypothetically, one may correlate the
French and Canadians (if that is the story) with consumption of certain
wines, French Dijon mustard or some cheese that U.S. people don't eat.
This as well as other - perhaps more reasonable explanations (like
statistical variations...) is of course never analyzed and the confusion
goes on - and more money goes down the drain.

Obviously my very own opinion - and not necessarily those of my
employers.
bjorn_cedervall@hotmail.com
Depts. Medical Radiation Biology and Medical Radiation Physics,
Karolinska Institutet, Box 260,
S-171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
_________________________________
>Subject: Re: NIH:  Electric fields pose cancer risk
>Author:  GACMail98@aol.com at hubsmtp
>Date:    7/5/98 11:46 PM
>
>In a message dated 98-07-05 22:11:38 EDT, jmoulder@post.its.mcw.edu
(John Moulder) writes:

><< the panel was asked whether power-frequency fields were
carcinogenic.
> Under their rules, the possibilities were limited to:
> - proven human carcinogen
> - probable human carcinogen
> - possible human carcinogen
> - proven non-carcingenic in humans
> - unclassifiable
>
>* * *
>
>Since there is no test, or finite set of tests, that can prove that an
agent
>is not carcinogenic (at any level or under any conditions), everything
that is
>not a "proven carcinogen" is a "possible carcinogen: >>
>
>The panel apparently did not agree that EMF meets the criteria to be
"proven
>non-carcinogenic in humans" or even to be "unclassifiable."  It would
be
>interesting to know what the criteria are for each classification, but
I'd bet