Re: Re[2]: NIH: Electric fields pose cancer risk

Ruth Weiner said:

> My concern is: what is NIH trying to
> get at by taking this kind of opinion survey?  That now opinion is
> substituted for evidence?  That NIH doesn't want to believe EMF appears to
> pose no cancer threat?  What?

In the above process, the public will be more confused. One saving
grace is, that this article has not received wide distribution - YET. I
have checked all of my sources, and there has been no re-
distribution of the original article. I checked out the website Glenn
provided, and there was no further information that was stated in
the press release.

Having been employed in the utility world for those 22 odd years,
EMF was always an issue that we had to deal with. While a study
did occasionally pop up, that stateds there was a causal
relationship between the EMF and increased cancer risk, they
were always studies deemed NOT to be scientifically valid, due to
methodology, and, statistics used. All of the reputable studies have
concluded that there is no causal relationship. We have enough
areas to test out any hypothesis. Just look at all of the HV sub-
stations and other high wires. There is plenty of EMF and a large
population to study. Seems simple enough to test a hypothesis for
those living near the HV wires or other source, and then check out
a population in the open spaces of Montana, for example. There is
just no relationship.

If this article does get re-distributed, and it eventually will, the
outcry of schools near power lines will again raise its ugly head.
The public will again be up in arms, and this time, they will state
that our own NIH "experts" said there is a relationship.

The scientific community again shoots itself in the foot!

------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director
ICN Dosimetry Division
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
Office: (800) 548-5100 x2306
Fax:    (714) 668-3111

sandyfl@earthlink.net
sperle@icnpharm.com

ICN Dosimetry Website:
http://www.dosimetry.com

Personal Website:

              - G. K. Chesterton -

The opinions expressed are solely, absolutely, positively, definitely those of the author, and NOT my employer