Re: Electric Fields

For those of you that don't read it, the following blurb was emailed to
those of us on the APS email list "What's New".  In light of the recent
discussion, I thought you might find Bob Park's comments interesting. He
makes it sound like the panel was not as unbiased in their assessment as
one would have hoped.

Mike Baker ... mcbaker@lanl.gov

What's New by Bob Park
Friday, 03 July 98 Washington, DC

2. EMF: HEALTH PANEL EXHUMES REMAINS OF POWER-LINE CONTROVERSY.

Exactly one year ago the National Cancer Institute released the results of
an exhaustive seven-year study that found no link between exposure to EMF
and childhood leukemia (WN 4 Jul 97) . An editorial in the New England
Journal of Medicine declared, "It is time to stop wasting our research
resources." Most government agencies agreed, and cut funding for research.
Last week, a group of scientific experts, most of whom had staked their
reputations on such a link, sorted through the detritus and announced
they had detected signs of life. The panel, assembled by the National
Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, voted 19-9 to class EMF as
"a possible carcinogen." While acknowledging the risk to be "quite small
compared to many other public health risks," the panel chair declared
that the government should provide research funds for serious-minded
scientists -- like those on the panel.