Re: RAM Shipping Container

While I have had problems obtaining documentation for Type A packages, it
can
usually be obtained if you have a common use for the packaging.  For Type B
packages, the documentation is virtually always available, as the "cask
book",
which includes the Certificate of Compliance, drawings, and procedures.  The
vendor is required to maintain this documentation as part of the packaging
approval.  You must register with the NRC as a user of a Type B package.
You
should also obtain a certification that the vendor has maintained the cask
in
accordance with an approved QA program, and you must have a 10CFR71 QA
program
of your own.

There is a lot of Type A documentation available on the Web, at

http://www.hanford.gov/pss/t&p/dot7a/pdot7a.htm

Information on vendors and "primary users" is also included.

Also, if you ship by air, IATA specification packagings, with documentation,
are generally available - see the advertisements in the IATA rules book.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@detroitedison.com

You wrote:

Tracy,

To my  knowledge there  are no  commercial suppliers of Type A or Type B
radioactive material packages that can supply the complete documentation
required.   The reason  is that  each package  must meet a unique set of
requirements.

It is  best for  a shipper to design, test and document his own package.
I also  do not know of any package testing laboratory that is capable of
providing complete required documentation.

Roy A. Parker, Ph.D.
Radiation Physics Consultant to
Federal Express Corporation
Tel: 504-924-1473