Re: "Low Level Radiation and Immune System Damage"

July 8, 1998

Dear RadSafers:

Please send your comments about the CRC book described below to the Health
Physics Journal Book Review Editor, Michael Ryan, at "Mike Ryan"
<ryanmt@musc.edu>

Mike will use your comments as ammunition in talking to the book publisher.

Thanks..

Otto

At 05:29 AM 7/1/98 -0500, I wrote:
>June 30, 1998
>Davis, CA
>
>I too am depressed to see the announcement by Lewis Publishers (2000
>Corporate Blvd, NW, Boca Raton, FL 33431 561-994-0555) of the book "Low
>Level Radiation and Immune System Damage" by Joseph J. Mangano, Catalogue
>No. L1334, August 1998, 224 pp., ISBN: 1-56670-334-4, $49.95. This book is
>said to show that "Radioactive emissions caused by above-ground atomic bomb
>testing, nuclear weapons, and power plants continue to affect the "Baby
>Boom" generation of the mid-1940s to mid-1960s..." and "...to correlate the
>rise of the atomic era with the breakdown of immune systems."
>
>This nonsense is rejectable on the basis of dosimetry alone. It is a shame
>that we have to waste energy combating this stuff, but we can't ignore it.
>
>It may be helpful to complain now to Lewis Publishers about the publication
>of this junk science.
>
>Otto

		Prof. Otto G. Raabe, Ph.D., CHP
                [President, Health Physics Society, 1997-1998]
		Institute of Toxicology & Environmental Health (ITEH)
		     (Street address: Old Davis Road)
		University of California, Davis, CA 95616
		Phone: 530-752-7754  FAX: 530-758-6140 [NEW AREA CODE]
		E-mail ograabe@ucdavis.edu