Re: Beta burns

In "The Effects of Nuclear Weapons" Compiles by Samuel Glasstone and Philip J. Dolan,  3rd ed. Reprinted 1977 by FEMA, no document number.  Section 12 Paragraphs 155 to 162 deals with beta burns and the Marshall Islanders specifically.  It mentions that clothing attenuated the burns and also linked severity to exposure to early rather than later fallout.  Early Symptoms  appeared 24 to 48 hours after exposure with latent effects of peeling and lesions showing up 2 to 3 weeks after exposure.

I would guess from this that time of contact may play a role,  as I remember from somewhere else that this effect was concentrated in areas of sweat production.   Perhaps the abiltiy to change clothes and put on fresh garments as part of the daily routine played a role in this.  It does mention that barefeet were particularly effected.

Just my musings.

Zack Clayton
zclayton@epa.state.oh.us
Ohio EPA