BELLE Conference on Hormesis at Research Triangle Park

Group,

The BELLE Conference can be seen at:

http://www.belleonline.com/upcoming.htmi (sic! that looks like an "i" instead
of an "l" for those who need to type it in :-)

Rather than post it to the list, I'll send a saved copy to anyone without web
access sho wants one.

Regards, Jim Muckerheide
muckerheide@mediaone.net
Title: IndexBelle

Newsletters
Advisory Board
Upcoming Events
Contact
Guestbook
Response Page
Societal Implications of Hormesis
October 5 - October 6, 1998
NIEHS, Research Triangle Park, NC

REGISTER NOW

This two-day conference will gather outstanding leaders in their respective fields to assess, explore, and debate a number of important societal implications of the concept of hormesis assuming that this phenomenon is highly generalizable, independent of agent, biological model, and endpoint. This conference on the implications of hormesis, represents the first of three conferences that will be held on the concept of hormesis. The subsequent conferences to be conducted over the next two years will concern the scientific foundations of hormesis (conference 2) and how current and future developments in the field of toxicology and risk assessment may be affected by developments in this area (conference 3).

IMAGE Imgs/Document_Layout01.gif
SESSION I - Hormesis Overview

INTRODUCTION 8:30-9:00 AM
Edward J. Calabrese, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA
Walter J. Kozumbo, U.S. Air Force, Bolling AFB, DC

WHAT IS HORMESIS 9:00-9:45 AM
A.R.D. Stebbing, Plymouth Marine Laboratory, Plymouth, Devon, UK

HORMESIS AS AN EVOLUTIONARY STRATEGY 9:45-10:30 AM
Peter A. Parsons, LaTrobe University, Glebe, Australia

BREAK 10:30-10:45 AM

SESSION II - Environmental Implications

HAZARD ASSESSMENT 10:45-12:15 AM
Henry C. Pitot, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI
A John Bailer, Miami University, Oxford, OH

LUNCH 12:15-1:30 PM

BIOLOGICALLY-BASED MODELING
FOR CHEMICALS/RADIATION
1:30-2:15 PM
Robert L. Sielken, Sielken, Inc., Bryan, TX

RFD DERIVATION 2:15-3:00 PM
Donald G. Barnes, U.S. EPA, Washington, DC

BREAK 3:00-3:15 PM

ECOLOGICAL RISK ASSESSMENT 3:15-4:00 PM
(Incorporating the concept of hormesis into the EPA framework)
William H. van der Schalie, U.S. EPA, Washington, DC

PANEL DISCUSSION AND
GENERAL AUDIENCE QUESTIONS
4:00-4:30 PM
(All previous speakers from session II will be reassembled to comprise the panel)
J.Michael Davis (Discussion Moderator), U.S. EPA, Research Triangle Park, NC

IMAGE Imgs/Document_Layout02.gif

SESSION III- Environmental Implications (cont.)

RISK PERCEPTION AND COMMUNICATION 8:30-10:00 AM
Paul Slovic, Decision Research, Eugene, OR
Susan Santos, Focus Group, Medford, MA

BREAK 10:00-10:30 AM

RISK MANAGEMENT 10:30-12:00 AM
Lester B. Lave, Carnegie-Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA
Carl J. Paperiello, U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Rockville, MD

LUNCH 12:00-1:30 PM

SESSION IV - Relevance of Hormesis Concept to:

ENVIRONMENTAL LAW 1:30-2:00 PM
Junius C. McElveen, Jr., Jones, Day, Reavis & Pogue, Washington, DC

CLINICAL THERAPEUTICS 2:00-2:30PM
David A. Boothman, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI

BREAK 2:30-2:45 PM

NUTRITION/AGING 2:45-3:15 PM
Ronald W. Hart, National Center for Toxicological Research, Jefferson, AR

AGRICULTURE 3:15-3:45 PM
James Morre, Purdue University, Lafayette, IN

CONCLUSION OF TWO DAY WORKSHOP 3:45-4:15 PM
James S. Bus, Dow Chemical Company, Midland, MI

|Home |Newsletters |Advisory Board |Upcoming Events |Contact |Guestbook |Response Page |Search|