Re: XRT Lead analyzer

John,

>      Anyone have any information on the XRT lead analyzer sold by
>      Warrington INC [possibly known as Microlead 1)?  The device
>      contains a sealed source of Co-57 at approximately 10
>      millicuries.

I have a "dummy" Microlead 1 (no source) for training purposes.

Here is their address:

	Warrington, Inc.
	2113 Wells Branch Pkwy., Ste. 6700
	Austin, Texas 78728
	512-251-7771

The Warrington Microlead 1 is an XRF device designed to measure lead
in paint.  It measures the characteristic X-ray (k-shell) emitted
when lead is excited by gamma radiation.  As a "direct reading"
analyzer, it is less accurate than the "spectrum analyzers" now on
the market.

You can download the HUD "Performance Characteristic Sheet" (in PDF
format) for it and other analyzers at
http://www.hud.gov/lea/leadwnlo.html.

By the way, the lead-in-paint analyzer business is not going well.
You can read more about it at
http://www.iaqpubs.com/ldac-rsrc/stories/story3.html.

- Dave
David O. Wallace, MSPH, CIH