Re: Potassium Iodide -Reply -Reply

Sorensen, Scott wrote:

> RadSafers,
>
>.... local populace through KI administration).
>
> But at what cost?  I don't have a good feel for the cost for initiating
>and managing a prophylactic KI program for 90,000 people over the life
> of a nuclear power plant.  Anyone care to provide a guess?  Regardless,
> I would expect that the local real estate values would decline once
> potential residents understand that they would be issued an emergency KI
> kit for their homes!  On the other hand, legal liability may prove to be
> a "wildcard" which could make a KI program more cost effective (?).  My
> over-all gut feeling is that the benefits would not out-weight the costs
> for the TMI accident scenario.....

I have one concern; Is it nessesary to ussue KI kits and ACTUALLY
keepthemin the households? I can see the only post accident legal
liability
reason to do so. I am positive that a lot of households would have a
hard time finding those KI kits when time should come; lost, forgot,
moved...etc.
 If it should be happened in rush hour traffic and everybody in the
cars???
Or some body just passing thru and is not residing in that area, there
are
could a lot of cituations when keeping the kits in the houses will be
useless.I think that keeping the KI emergency kits would be more
appropriate in
some central locations.
I propose to keep the kits in Fire station or police station. Well fire
stationis better, may be some one has poblems with police? Even a
criminal is
deserved to be protected and can sue later on the plant for damages. I
just want that this procedurewill work if time will come!
It is came to my mind that fire station will be a good location, the
firemen did really good job in Chernobyl, even there were a lot of
criticism about their  knowledges of radiation safety and nuclear
fission...
Finally , THEY are who stopped the fire from spreading
to reactors  3,2 and 1. In the end they DID their job and they finished
it.
 I see here in the US, the firemen always are the FIRST in case of
any emergency, be it fire, heart attact..etc.

 From the legal liability side, the Plant will be in the fault any way
even if everybody will be provided with emergency kit but nobody will
tell them to take it.
And it will be probably more cost effective to keep the kits in central
locations.Is there expiration dates on KI?? I am not familiar with the
chemical
form of KI in the KI kits. Is it just pottasium salt what you can get in
the
healthy food stores? Is it stable?? Because if there is an expiration
then it will be easier to do the inspections of those KITs.  I am almost
positive that NRC or local agency will have to check the records and
conditions of those kits annually. And if the procedure will get in
there gulations or license ammendments as a part of the emergency
response procedure then licenses will have to keep those records and
check thekits periodically.
I am little suprise that I did not see any responses from the
reactors...
Eventially they are who will have to comply and implement these
procedure.

Nice weekend to everyone.
Emil.
kerremba@pilot.msu.edu

It is still so nice to represent your own opinion and not youremployer's
when you do not have one.