Media Exaggerations of Nuclear Power Plant Events

My favorite media exaggeration about a nuclear power plant event occurred
in the Fall of 1981. The local newspaper in Stuart, Florida ran a small but
very noticeable front-page story entitled "NUCLEAR THEFT". Was the story
about a pilfering of nuclear material? Nope. It was about
the stealing of a pair of hardhats by a disgruntled worker who had been
fired from Florida Power & Light's St. Lucie nuclear power facility on
nearby Hutchison Island. Hardhats! Nuclear "theft" indeed.....

Steve Frey, Head
Operational Health Physics (OHP) Department
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center (SLAC)
Phone:(650) 926-3839 (office),
      (650) 926-3030 (fax),
E-mail address: sfreyohp@SLAC.Stanford.EDU

Any thoughts expressed here by me are my
own and are not meant to speak for SLAC
in any capacity unless so stated.