Re: radium dial painters

Dear RadSafers

In the case of the radium-dial painters, the graph that appears to show a
threshold at 1,000 rad is on page 198 of BEIR IV.

At first glance, this graph looks convincing. However, it uses a
logarithmic scale. On a logarithmic scale, the LNT line is an exponential.
An exponential curve can be drawn through the points: 0.6% at 100 rad, 6%
at 1000 rad, 60% at 10,000 rad. This curve is a reasonable fit to all the
data except the highest point (~30,000 rad).

NOTE: I am not trying to prove LNT; I am only suggesting that the "curve to
guide the eye" can be misleading.

mike

"Shlala gashle" (Zulu greeting, meaning "Stay safe")
mike (mcnaught@LANL.GOV)