Calibration services survey

I need information on what others are doing for rad instrument
calibration.

The information is needed to assess whether it is more apporpriate to do
it ourselves or to outsource.  I'd especially like to hear details from
those would do outsource calibration and how this works for them.

As a point of reference the routine portion of our program here at LBNL
deals with about 700 instruments - mostly portable, some fixed.  We
calibrate for alpha, gamma, beta, tritium, positron emmitters and neutron.
Of course we also do most of our own repair.

The non-routine portion of what our instrument shop does can be almost
anything but a few examples would be instrument modification, instrument
characterization, new instrument design and various projects that support
our instrument use.

Below is a form I quickly worked up with the kind of information I'd like
to know - but anything else you think would be relevant is appreciated.

Please repsond to

tdc@ehssun.lbl.gov

and NOT to RADSAFE.  If there is interest I will summarize the responses
to RADSAFE and/or forward them to those with similar interests/needs and
who request such.  IF YOU DO NOT WANT THE INFORMATION YOU SUPPLY TO BE
FORWARDED - PLEASE SAY SO AND YOUR WISHES WILL BE RESPECTED.

If you have gone through a similar evaluation/exercise I am ESPECIALLY
interested in your input!

SURVEY:

Institution:

Your Name:

   email address:

    phone number:

How many instruments?  (break out by type if possible and/or fixed or
portable)  - approximate numbers ok.

Frequency of calibration?

Species of radiation you calibrate for?

FTE applied towards calibration?

FTE applied towards repair?

Do you have mostly old or new instruments?

Would you characterize the radiation environment in which your instruments
are used as:

   Typical or unique?

   Constant or variable?

Do you also have special instrumentation needs like customization.  If so
who does this?  FTE towards this activity?

Do you do any instrumentation design or evaluation?  Who does this FTE
towards this activity?

If you outsource any of the above - please specify who does this service
and how well it works for you - or doesn't.

May we contact you or your organization for further information and/or use
you as an example in our analysis and report?  (The report is to an in-house
evaluation committee)

Thank-you