RE: Bananas (K-40)

I'm afraid, Franz, that you are way off base.  Both hyperkalemia (excess
potassium) and hypokalemia -- ie K depletion in humans -- is a well
recognized clinical disorder with a number of etiologies, one of which is
deficient dietary intake.  Another common cause of hypokalemia is
attributable to reduced gut intake secondary to diarrhea or ther
gastrointestinal upsets, or to depletion of K from medications such as
diuretics (or even intake of large amounts of licorice!).

Primary symptoms of hyopkalemia are neuromuscular, in partuclar muscular
weakness, especially in the lower extremities.  Treatment is typically by
KCl tablets or powders and dietary supplements, although mild cases may be
treated with diet.

Enjoy your bananas.

Ron Kathren
Professor and Director, USTUR