Re: Effective Photon Energy of X-rays -Reply

NIST uses a standard set of filtered x-ray spectra to produce reproducible
beams, and there is an ISO standard characterizing photon spectra for
radiological calibration work.  One very useful technique is to use
secondary K fluorescence x-rays, which provide a known characteristic
energy.  Filtered x-ray spectra should be characterized in terms not only of
their HVL, but also homogeneity factor which gives a measure of the energy
distribution in the beam.  If you wish to discuss the question of effective
energy, feel free to call me -- 509-375-5643.

Ron Kathren