RE: Bananas (K-40)

At 15:31 31.07.1998 -0500, you wrote:
>I'm afraid, Franz, that you are way off base.  Both hyperkalemia (excess
>potassium) and hypokalemia -- ie K depletion in humans -- is a well
>recognized clinical disorder with a number of etiologies, one of which is
>deficient dietary intake.  Another common cause of hypokalemia is
>attributable to reduced gut intake secondary to diarrhea or ther
>gastrointestinal upsets, or to depletion of K from medications such as
>diuretics (or even intake of large amounts of licorice!).
>
>Primary symptoms of hyopkalemia are neuromuscular, in partuclar muscular
>weakness, especially in the lower extremities.  Treatment is typically by
>KCl tablets or powders and dietary supplements, although mild cases may be
>treated with diet.
>
>Enjoy your bananas.
>
>Ron Kathren
.--------------------------

Ron,

Thank you for this information. I am not a medical doctor, so you
understand that I am not aware of all these clinical disorders though I
think they are important for the persons affected. My commment was intended
to cover the question of healthy subjects, where such considerations may
not play any special role. We all know, how easily disorders can happen -
glucose in blood, triglycerides in blood, cholesterin etc. So why disorders
should not affect the K(-40) levels?

If I remember correctly you will be at the Utah conference at the end of
September - I am looking forward to meet you personally!

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer
Habicherg. 31/7
A-1160 Vienna
Austria
Tel.: +43-1-495 53 08
Fax.: same number
mobile phone: +43-664-338 0 333
e-mail: schoenho@via.at

Office:
Federal Institute for Food Control and Research
Department of Radiochemistry
Kinderspitalg. 15
A-1095 Vienna
Austria