Re: Bananas (K-40)

At 19:12 31.07.1998 -0500, you wrote:
>Thanks, Ron,
>
>To those of us 'of a certain age' the effect of low potassium is dramatic,
and
>we need to go for the banana or orange juice, as the common responses, but
>they are not so much greater sources than milk and other sources.
>
>But I'd add that, while as Franz notes potassium is homeostatically
>controlled, nothing in the 'real world' is 'at once'.

Well, you I hope that the citation marks I used for "at once" came through
from my German keyboard to your English (American) screens.

>Does anyone know the range of K between acceptably low and high levels,

The report on my last blood analysis states "reference boundaries" of 3.9
to 5.5 - which I interpret that the actual value of a healthy person should
be between these levels.

Franz Schoenhofer
Habicherg. 31/7
A-1160 Vienna
Austria
Tel.: +43-1-495 53 08
Fax.: same number
mobile phone: +43-664-338 0 333
e-mail: schoenho@via.at

Office:
Federal Institute for Food Control and Research
Department of Radiochemistry
Kinderspitalg. 15
A-1095 Vienna
Austria