Re: Side of a volcano -Reply

Scott,

As you might imagine, we did a lot of work on the valcano issue for the Philippine
nuclear power plant.  There is enough of a pattern in these erruptions to permit the
prediction of the general location of the next erruptions so we could conclude that
the principal potential problem for the plant was the ash fall.  Consequently,
provisions were required (by the Philippine AEC, of course) to cope with ash fall.
The decision was validated some years later by the big erruption that contributed
to the US military pulling out of the Philippines.

Charlie Willis
caw@nrc.gov