Re[4]: Side of a volcano

Well, actually, I was in the Pacific Northwest when Mt. St. Helen's blew, and I
had many friends who were in the fallout plume.  I was not; I lived in the NW
corner of Washington (Bellingham) and the plume blew by far south of us.  The
plume travelled ENE toward the Spokane/Coeur d'Alene area and the heaviest ash
fallout was in Ritzville, WA.  Anyone can calculate the dilution by dispersion
(D stability, ground level wind speed about 2 m/sec, release height above
Spokane ground level, about 8000 ft, etc.)  Some inhalation, yes; ingestion, no.
 Most of the ash was considerably larger than the 10 microns usually considered
respirable (I saw it spotting the vegetation when I was hiking around Snoqualmie
Pass about a year after the eruption).  The radioactive content and
concentration were like that of crustal dust because it was, after all, crustal
dust.  Good fertilizer, too, because this was mineral ash.  I know of no
documented health effects from inhalation of radioactive emissions from Mt. St
Helen's, and the eruption was in 1981.  There were of course some health
effects: some loggers were killed outright because the "red zone" was not large
enough, the famous resident of the mountain, Harry Truman (not THE Harry Truman,
of course) was killed, and the ash formed a slick surface on the highways that
snarled traffic and resulted in a number of accidents and deaths.  As I recall,
people in the Spokane area wore masks for a while to keep from breathing the
dust, but they were generally more worried about dust inhalation than inhaling
radioactive material.

Clearly only my own opinion.

Ruth Weiner
rfweine@sandia.gov