Re: Pu in Soil

Does the soil contaminated with Pu-239 meet the definition of radioactive
material, greater than 70 Bq / gm? (49CFR 173.403   Definitions)  This is the
first test. Then determine the activity for the isotope. Pu-239 A2 value is 2
E-4 TBq. The Radioactive Material, Excepted package-limited quantity limit is
A2 E-3.

Also if shipped in large bulk container you might not meet the definition of
radioactive material but exceed the limit in the table for hazardous
substance.
This would make the name "Environmentally Hazardous Subspaces, solid, 9,
(Pu-239)".

You should find a shipper trained in The 49CFR to determine the correct way to
ship your material.

Alan R. Marchand
radarm@accessnv.com
Las Vegas, NV

These opinions are on an individual basis from the author, and not my
employer.