RE: Cremation of Prostate Implant Pts -Reply -Reply

There's a bit of information on human crematoria on my web page at

http://www.cdc.net/~physics/prostate/contents.htm

See chapter 23 Notes on Cremation

"Daren Perrero" <dmperrero@email.msn.com> wrote:
>Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 22:49:55 -0500
>Subject: RE: Cremation of Prostate Implant Pts -Reply -Reply
>There has been a fair number of studies performed regarding the fate of
>radionuclides when incinerated, particularly for materials in the form of
>microspheres.  Personal experience has shown that indeed radioiodine wastes
>which are unsealed do indeed go up the stack.  However, the manner in which
>the material is incinerated is not heavily documented.  The studies I am
>familiar with utilize a medical waste incinerator designed for fairly high
>temperatures, secondary combustion chambers, excess oxygen and long
>incineration times.  I would be interested in knowing how these incinerators
>compare with those which are used for cremation of human remains as I think
>this could have a large impact on dispersal of the material as well as the
>design of the radioiodine seeds..
Tyler M. Lembcke, M.S.
ABMP Certified, Radiation Oncology Physics
Oncology Therapies of Chattanooga
2333 McCallie Avenue
Chattanooga, TN 37404
(423) 493-1690
(423) 493-6828 (fax)
physics@cdc.net
http://www.cdc.net/~physics/index.htm

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their
commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of
endeavor.  -- Vince Lombardi