Re: Radiation litigation and Judges Opinions

Sandy, have heart.

Radiation monitoring at nuclear plants is very extensive during
normal operation, and monitoring and surveys are greatly increased
(at great expense) during refueling and maintenance evolutions. I,
also, find it difficult to understand how someone can definitively
state that "deliberate" actions were taken by SCE to, perhaps,
minimize the ALARA "hit" on plant workers.

In 20 years in the nuclear industry, working primarily with
instrumentation, I have found that, if anything, permanently
installed field RMS area monitors (not portable units) tend to OVER-
indicate slightly. Factory calibrations are pretty accurate, but use
of transfer calibrations typically requires the addition of small
"fudge" factors based on specific installation geometries and to
ensure compliance with plant Technical Specification limits. I have
seen only a few rare cases, all due to component failures, where
the indicated dose rates were grossly under-indicated. In each
case, failure was easily noticed due to periodic check source and
channel checks and the problem was fixed. In addition, rad monitor
channel alarm setpoints tend to be WAY over any realistic
personnel dose limits due to the equipment uncertainties that must
be assumed when setpoint calculations are performed; channel
uncertainties of up to 30% are often required when determining a
setpoint (use of a log scale doesn't help, either). Personnel at
nuclear plants also, of course, wear one or more TLDs and/or
pocket/digital dosimeters at all times which provide further
confirmation of any doses received.

I have NEVER been in a situation where plant personnel
deliberately allowed rad instrumentation to become or remain
"undercalibrated". Channel failures typically result in immediate
remedial actions, including additional, alternate monitoring
methods, including more frequent manual surveys, until the monitor
is fixed. Poor calibration can occur, but area monitors are not used
alone; the pocket/digital dosimeters and TLDs would also have to
be wrong (or misread) for total worker dose to be grossly
underestimated. And I never forget that personal responsibility,
common sense, and actually reading the RWP are the #1 aids in
minimizing my dose during a job.

Sam Stilwell
Project Engineer
Proto-Power Corporation