RE: Cremation of Prostate Implant Pts -Reply -Reply

There has been a fair number of studies performed regarding the fate of
radionuclides when incinerated, particularly for materials in the form of
microspheres.  Personal experience has shown that indeed radioiodine wastes
which are unsealed do indeed go up the stack.  However, the manner in which
the material is incinerated is not heavily documented.  The studies I am
familiar with utilize a medical waste incinerator designed for fairly high
temperatures, secondary combustion chambers, excess oxygen and long
incineration times.  I would be interested in knowing how these incinerators
compare with those which are used for cremation of human remains as I think
this could have a large impact on dispersal of the material as well as the
design of the radioiodine seeds..