Subject: Re: Re[2]: FW: News Media and How to Deceive
Author:  RADPROJECT@aol.com at hubsmtp
Date:    8/20/98 9:30 AM

<< Subj:      Re: Re[2]: FW: News Media and How to Deceive
 Date:     98-08-20 11:01:58 EDT
 From:     Michael_Mokrzycki@ap.org (Michael Mokrzycki)
 Sender:     radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
 To:     radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu (Multiple recipients of list)

 I humbly submit that boycotting reporters would not be the most effective
 way to educate them and get your point of view across in the general media.

I totally agree with the above comment. I also understand the frustration which
underlies the initial post by Bob Scott recommending boycotting interactions
with the media due to some horror stories in such interactions. However,
failing to take the playing field to meet your opponent is a sure way to
forfeit the game. This is the most certain way to destroy any prospects for
radiation related technologies to ever get a fair evaluation and to meet the
application they might satisfy.

I have dealt with dozens of print, TV, and radio reporters on various
radiation related news stories and found most of them to be willing to tell an
accurate story if you present them information in a manner which is
interesting, understandable, and which stresses the self interest of risk-
benefit understanding to the potentially affected public(s) related to the
radiation risk factor under consideration.

Remember what John Paul Jones once said when asked by the British to surrender
after the masts on his frigate had been shot out and defeat appeared certain:

                            "I have not yet begun to fight"

Stewart Farber, MS Public Health
Public Health Sciences
19 Stuart St.