Re: FW: News Media and How to Deceive

The major problems, as I see it, are two-fold.  First, few reporters have
significant scientific training.  One result of this is that "risks" of 1E-3
and 1E-9 are similar in the eyes of reporters.  It would help if publishers of
all types of media required that their reporters have some demonstrable
expertise in the area that they are writing about.

The second factor, probably more important than the first, is that the media is
in the business of making money (like everyone else).  This means, among other
things, that they can "sensationalize" stories (for the purpose of sales) only
to the extent that the public finds these stories believable.  Thus stories
about gardening, say, tend to be accurate because the public has first-hand
knowledge of this topic, while stories about science and technology are
routinely "full of baloney".  I think that the only way for technical folks to
circumvent this is to focus on science education.  In particular, the education
of children in grades K-12 is often done with lousy textbooks (locally chosen)
and teachers with little or no scientific education.  This may be a bitter pill
for scientists and engineers to swallow (because of the time involved), but I
don't think that we can ever count on the press to "fix" the problem.