Irradiation of meat (taste change?)

Radsafers,

Food irradiation: I wonder if anyone could comment on the eventual
effects irradiation may have on the taste of meat (with this question, I
am not implying that there is such an effect). What I have in mind is
that free radicals may attack fatty acids and
other molecules that contribute to the taste. Is this of relevance –
when weighed against costs/bacterial disease (politics!) etc.?

bjorn_cedervall@hotmail.com
Depts. Medical Radiation Biology and Medical Radiation Physics,
Karolinska Institutet, Box 260,
S-171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
Ph/fax: Int + 468 343525 (Med. Radiation Physics)