Re: FW: News Media and How to Deceive -Reply

Doug,

I am impressed by your statement that about half the high school physics teachers
have degrees in physics.  Surely that is a vast improvement over the conditions of
long, long ago when I graduated.  I too planned to teach and was lead to expect to
be in demand because there were so few teachers in the state with physics
degrees.  Upon graduation, I found that I was in great demand --- as an assistant
football coach.  There was not a whit of interest in the physics credential.

In our Science Teachers' Workshops program, I have encountered very few
teachers with physics degrees.  Perhaps we are not reaching those who could best
understand what we have to say, but I sincerely believe that this Health Physics
Society program is the most promising activity for teaching the teachers that I have
encountered.  I urge anyone with an interest in helping kids and the schools to get
involved in the program.  If you need help getting started, contact Ken Mossman's
ad hoc committee on these workshops (ken.mossman@asu.edu).

Charlie Willis
caw@nrc.gov