Re: EC sources

At 12:11 26.08.1998 -0500, you wrote:
>I only know about Ni-63-sources for EC, but never heard about tritium
>>sources and cannot imagine that any tritium compound would be stable enough
>>to serve as an EC device.
>
>I believe they are tritiated foils.  I have seen them at activities of up
>to 150 mCi (5.55 MBq) and no evidence of leakage.
>
>Andy
------------------------------------

Andy,

Thanks for this information. Having done a lot of work on incorporation of
tritium from wrist watches (luminous dials containing tritium) I have
difficulties to believe that there would not be any evidence of leakage -
there is even a leakage of Ni-63 due to chemical reasons. Since I am
responsible for radiation protection at my institute which has also a lot
of EC-detectors - only of the Ni-63 type - I would be interested in any
literature on this topic.

Thanks!

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer
Habicherg. 31/7
A-1160 Vienna
Austria
Tel.: +43-1-495 53 08
Fax.: same number
mobile phone: +43-664-338 0 333
e-mail: schoenho@via.at

Office:
Federal Institute for Food Control and Research
Department of Radiochemistry
Kinderspitalg. 15
A-1095 Vienna
Austria