Respect -Reply

Diana and RADSAFERs,

This situation reminds me of a math professor I had in college who
would *encourage* questions from his students by frequently
responding that the solution to a given problem was *intuitively
obvious, even to the simplest mind.*  Needless to say, questions
died off rapidly after the first few classes.

As the *majority* of RADSAFERs are HPs or have HP
backgrounds, we can sometimes be smug or snotty when
someone raises a very basic question.  It is my hope that if a
person with an HP background has a question, they would first
look to their own resources (e.g., textbooks, reports, journals,
co-workers, etc.) before going out to RADSAFE for the answer.

But we must also recognize that there are many in RADSAFE land
that have no resources to turn to or are still *learning the ropes.*
They might be directed to a resource that can provide many
answers for them on other matters in the future.

What may be basic to some, is not basic to others.

How many hours of head-scratching and agonizing were the folks
at UCLA saved by the RADSAFERs who were able to shed some
light into their instrument noise problems?  Judging from the
*rapid* responses from several folks, it was pretty basic (read:
familiar or routine) for them.  But it wasn't for the UCLA folks and it
certainly wasn't for most of us mere mortals!

v/r
Michael
Michael S. Ford, CHP
Texas Radiation Advisory Board