Re: $/person-rem

>      The basis for
>      most of our $10,000/person-rem figure were the extra resources
>      required to bring in a contract employee, train him/her, equip
>      with dosimeters, provide protective clothing, waste disposal,
>      technician job coverage/surveys, etc.  Take all that into
>      account, make some assumptions for how much work somebody can do and
>      what their salaries/benefit costs are, and presto: you arrive at a
>      figure around $10,000/person-rem.  This was acceptable to the
>      bean-counters (at least it was nine years ago).

For many ALARA considerations, engineering controls would be
the best alternative to reduce dose. These associated costs are
generally higher than the $10,000.person-rem value used (when I
was at FPL).

As Eric points out in his cost basis, much of the cost is resource
related. What is ironic is that in a majority of the dose reduction
projects, the method to do so was to bring in MANY more bodies,
to which we provided the opportunity to receive more dose! Perhaps
this can be justified by giving more to less to ensure less is
received by more in the future. But then again...

------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director
ICN Dosimetry Division
ICN Plaza
3300 Hyland Avenue
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
Office: (800) 548-5100 x2306
Fax:    (714) 668-3149

sandyfl@earthlink.net
sperle@icnpharm.com

ICN Dosimetry Website:
http://www.dosimetry.com

Personal Website:

              - G. K. Chesterton -

The opinions expressed are solely, absolutely, positively, definitely those of the author, and NOT my employer