RE: Vote on the Sierra Blanca site -Reply

Richard,

I can understand your concerns.  However, if we're going to
discuss "manipulation," I would direct your attention to articles in
the Austin American-Statesman over the last couple of years about
the Sierra Blanca site.  The articles have been heavily biased in
favor of those opposing the site (often only quoting one side of the
story) and have paid little attention to the facts or the opinions of
the majority of the residents in Sierra Blanca who would like to see
this facility built.

As for Rick asking the RADSAFERs to vote "yes" on this issue,
advocates requesting a particular vote on a particular issue
happens many times a year in the US.  Was Minnesota Senator
Paul Wellstone trying to manipulate the Senate vote by his protest
on the Texas capitol steps?  I think so.

I would hope that most RADSAFERs would find a consolidated
storage facility in an arid and geologically stable area of south
Texas to be inherently more safe and stable than rad waste
scattered throughout hundreds of locations in the states of Texas,
Maine and Vermont.

Otherwise, vote "No."

This is one of the rare opportunities that an informed group of
individuals is able to have an impact in a poll that just might have
some sway on public perceptions.  Please don't let this opportunity
pass by.

v/r
Michael
*************************
Michael S. Ford, CHP
Waste Industry Representative (... For full disclosure)
Texas Radiation Advisory Board
Address:
Radiation Safety Department
Battelle Pantex
Amarillo, TX
806.477.5727 phone
806.477.4198 fax
mford@pantex.com
*************************

>>> "Edwards, Richard W" wrote on Fri 4 Sep 98  12:33 >>>
I question the value of deliberately skewing a poll. Granted the
method being used lends itself to doing so and that there is
certainly a short term benefit to being able to proclaim "See! There
IS public support for this action that we favor." The downside,
besides ensuring that the poll not representative of public opinion,
is the backlash if and when the manipulation becomes public.

Rick Edwards, Analyst
The Boeing Company
richard.w.edwards@boeing.com