Re: Poll for you to vote to save Brookhaven Lab

Sandy, I'm not saying the vote reflects *only* the opinions of those who
have been lobbied. But judging simply by how many people have been
motivated to forward the "please vote" message to Radsafe, I suspect
lobbying has resulted in more than a few votes in this survey. I'd fully
expect the same is true on the "anti-nuke" side.

I note the number of "no" votes has increased sharply since the vote plea
first appeared on Radsafe. That's why I said the results might say
something about "pro-nuke" grassroots lobbying. The evidence is admittedly
circumstantial.

I think we agree that the results are representative only of those who
chose to vote, for whatever reason. Problem is, that's a universe so small
as to be meaningless, at least for an issue of general public interest
(such a survey might have some validity for a Web site's market research.)
Unfortunately, this limitation often doesn't stop people from misusing the
results to try to have an impact on decisionmaking.

Mike Mokrzycki, AP (my opinions only)

Sandy Perle <sandyfl@earthlink.net> on 09/10/98 10:59:57 AM

Please respond to radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu