Re: badge sensitivity topic - correction

Shortly after I posted information to radsafe it was pointed out that I had
made a statement that was not correct. My statement could be read that
ICN's program was one in which they (ICN) thought that they were THE final
authority on what dose would be assigned. That was not my intent. I was
responding only to the statement that I quoted not to the specific ICN
program. Since my posting, Ms. Nemecek (ICN) provided me the following
information.

>The technical  program at ICN takes into account all of the pertinent
>factors that should be considered before reporting a dose that ICN
>considers the best evaluation possible of any particular badge returned for
>processing.  We pride ourselves on our technical capabilities and Mr. Perle
>has proven to be an excellent Technical Director who continually strives
>for perfection and technical superiority for our clients.

>However, once a reported dose is received by a client, there are occasions
>when clients require additional personal attention to verify the dose
>reported by ICN.   We work closely with our customers to ensure that they
>do receive as accurate a dose as possible, considering that when they wear
>the badge, the use is out of our control.  The client may subsequently take
>into consideration other factors that may affect the dose they elect to
>report in their internal records.  In general, it has been our experience
>that the dose reported  by  ICN is the number the client reports as well.
>However, even if an RSO elects to report a different number  for a
>particular badge and wear date, ICN does not change the dose reported.  By
>receipt of a written, authorized request (containing all pertinent data)
>from a designated individual at a facility ICN will adjust the history of
>an individual to reflect the RSO's decision.
>
>Sincerley,
>
>Sandi Nemecek

Based on this excellent technical response, I wish to state that I believe
that the ICN method of "correcting" or "adjusting" doses is an excellent
way to deal with this situation. If my misinformed or poorly worded
comments caused anyone to believe that the ICN program did not allow for
this process, I apologize.

P.S. I understand that ICN was reluctant to post the above information
because of the concern that they are "advertising."  If ICN and other
"vendors" are not providing information because it may be construed as
"advertising" rather than technical information, we are all losing the
valuable technical information that experts such as Ms. Nemecek and Mr.
Perle can provide. We all lose if these experts are not free to provide
this information. Therfore, I ask, do we want information such as the above
-- or do some consider it to be advertising????

Paul Lavely
Director, Office of Radiation Safety
University of California at Berkeley
lavelyp@uclink2.berkeley.edu