Re: badge sensitivity topic

Paul Lavely leaps beyond reality with his interpretation of my
comments. I simply stated that what Les assumes, is not entirely
correct. The majority of individuals who receive dosimetry from a
commercial vendor use the dose reported. They do not in practice
apply their own factors. THESE factors should already be in use
within the site specific algorithms used by the processor. If they
are not, then that is a problem. If Berkley applies evaluations of
their dosimetry results, they are to be commended. My
experience, in the commercial world, is that a majority of RSOs
have delegated away this accountability to the processor. THIS is
not a good practice.

Every request I get for a technical evaluation is performed by a
Manager of the specific program, be it TLD, film or CR39. This is
AFTER my staff has already concluded their assessment,
approval, and report being sent to the customer. If there is NO
reason to change a dose after the review, this is stated, IN
WRITING. If there is a change, that too is IN WRITING.

As far as your last comment where you quoted me,,, I am not sure
what your point is ...

> Despite your disclaimer, since you are the Technical Director of
> the ICN Despite your disclaimer, since you are the Technical
> Director of the ICN Dosimetry Division, I assume that your
> opinion that " what is reported is what is recorded" is the official
> position that ICN has taken on this subject?

The above is again, a simple truth. The majority of facilities take
the dose reported on the Exposure Dose Report, and use it as the
"official dose of record."

I guess my question to Paul is,,, why don't you accept the reported
dose you receive from your vendor? Why aren't your factors applied
within their algorithm, upfront (for routine use)? What factors are
you applying and what is your criteria for changing the dose
reported to you?

------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director
ICN Dosimetry Division
ICN Plaza
3300 Hyland Avenue
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
Office: (800) 548-5100 x2306
Fax:    (714) 668-3149

sandyfl@earthlink.net
sperle@icnpharm.com

ICN Dosimetry Website:
http://www.dosimetry.com

Personal Website:

              - G. K. Chesterton -

The opinions expressed are solely, absolutely, positively, definitely those of the author, and NOT my employer