1994 Estonia Incident

Here at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Chuck Watson and I are engaged in
research on the Quantitative Evaluation of Contamination Consequences (QECC).
You can learn more about our efforts at http://qecc.pnl.gov/.

We seek quantitative information on radiological incidents and accidents, as
well as routine operational data, that may help us retrospectively determine the
causal link between surface contamination and intakes by, and doses to, people.
We are also interested in other accidents incidents that can give quantitative
insights into events involving sealed sources.

On accident in particular that we would like to learn more about is the one that
occurred in Estonia in 1994.  All we have seen is "FATALITY CAUSED BY CESIUM-137
OVEREXPOSURE IN ESTONIA" at
http://tis-hq.eh.doe.gov/web/oeaf/oe_weekly/oe_weekly_94/oe94-48.txt.  Can any
of you RADSAFErs help, or can you suggest anyone who can help us obtain
additional details about this incident?

We're also interested in learning any details of incidents that will help
illuminate the relationship between surface contamination and intakes by
workers.  Please respond directly to me if you are interested or can help.

Thanks.

- Dan Strom

The opinions expressed above are my own, and have not been reviewed or approved
by Battelle, the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, or the U.S. Department
of Energy.

Daniel J. Strom, Ph.D., CHP
Risk Analysis and Health Protection, K3-56, Pacific Northwest National
Laboratory
Battelle Boulevard, P.O. Box 999, Richland, WA 99352-0999 USA
(509) 375-2626 fax: (509) 375-2019 daniel.j.strom@pnl.gov