check sources

Coleman lantern mantles (thorium impregnated) taped to the side of the
instrument serve as excellent check sources. The count rate from them can
be determined at calibration. One does not have to worry about licensing
problems and losing licensed sources. They do  not have the potential for
contamination either like the uranyl acetate powder might have.

The only problem is that it is hard to find the blue "radioactive" ones
anymore. The ones that are readily available now are the "gold" ones that
are non radioactive.

If any of you are aware of where to obtain these (departmnent store names)
I would appreciate hearing from you,  since I need to purchase some.

Thanks

Ninni
Ninni Jacob
Radiation and Biological Safety Officer