RE: Delusional individuals and how to deal with them

I've had to deal with a difficult person in the nuclear power world.  A worker
was exiting our site through our whole-body
PM-7 (NaI slab detectors), he alarmed once, but not the second time, then
alarmed on the third.  He thought our instrumentation was not working properly
and that we were purposely letting people leave without them knowing they were
contaminated.  He didn't want to take "radiation" home to his wife and kids.
Getting wound up...

I talked to him and his supervisor after he was formally whole-body counted and
the first thing he said was that he did not trust anything I said and that we
were actively trying to cover up.  You know how you can tell when someone
fervently believes something by that strong look in their eye;  this guy was
serious.  This guy was more adamant than Glen Close or the lady from the movie
"Misery".  It didn't take the Jose and Wiedes legal seminar to tell me that this
was serious.  Having a person repeatedly telling you your lying and trying to
cover up things in a confrontational and angry way can be slightly trying, but
there is nothing you can do.  I think if you start out positive, you might have
a small chance of keeping the dialogue positive, but if you let your tone and
action go south, it then becomes an argument with passion.  The misguided person
will argue to the death, you will have mad yourself mad for no good reason, and
possibly have put your employer at greater risk than they might otherwise be.

I believe worker was then whole-body counted, showered and whole-body counted
again in an attempt to get a good feel for internal/external determinations.  I
told him that his level of contamination was near the lower detection limits of
the whole-body exit monitors and the gatehouse detectors would not consistently
alarm at that level.  I stated that they are set at the correct levels, pass
their appropriated source checks every day, and that is was working properly.
There was no way I was going to start talking about confidence intervals and
other instrument details.

When I started to ask him about his whereabouts, he stated that he had been
removing steam generator bowl insulation and that the tech on the job was trying
to hide something as well.  He stated that the tech would go over to the areas
outside the immediate work area and take readings, but not say anything.  He
stated that he asked the tech how much he was getting, but the tech just
essentially said stay in this work area and what is over there is not applicable
to the work at hand.  It is entirely a good call for the tech to not only know
the rad conditions of their immediate job, but to also be cognizant of
conditions and work around them.  I told him the tech might have been doing a
good job of preventing him from straying into unnecessary radiological hazards
or potentially unknown conditions.  I once again offered to perform follow up
actions to make sure he had all of the facts.

In the end I told him that I felt our instrumentation and personnel had acted
properly and would be willing to follow-up in any way.  I even told him that if
he wished, he could take the time to write down all of his concerns and that I
would respond to each in writing.  I told him I appreciated his sincerity,
recognized his concerns, and summarized why I felt there was nothing improper.
I never heard back from this person again and he worked the rest of the outage.
His supervisor came up to me after he left and apologized for his actions and I
said that it was no problem.  If I cannot confidently defend the actions and
programs of my department, then something may be wrong...

Be sincere, honest, and when differences of opinion rise don't flinch or even
bat an eye, just let them know that you understand their concern and that you're
committed to helping to resolve the situation.  If the person leaves and later
decides to attempt to take some form of legal action, you will know that you
have done the right thing for you and your employer in a sincere and
professional way.

Hastily written and sincerely,
Glen Vickers