Re: Plutonium pacemaker - Patient concern -leakage?

Allen, We also have a seventies implanted plutonium pacemaker patient that
we monitor per requirement by our state of Alabama license.  I am checking
him annually for external leakage with a GM contamination instrument to see
if he has anything outside of the sternal chest area. We do not feel that
urine or other monitoring is required. Would also like to know from other
Hospital Radiation Safety folks on the listserver, if this is adequate
without being an unwarranted burden to the very nice (and lucky) patient
who is living quite happily!
Mark Steinbuchel, CHCM
Chairman, Radiation Safety Committee (HHS/RSC)
Alternate Radiation Safety Officer
Huntsville Hospital System
markst@ONC.hhsys.org