RE: Hoods and radioactive contaminants

Hello Richard:

Some good reference books you may want to check on fumehoods (and other
lab design issues):

Guidelines for Laboratory Design (2nd edition) by DiBerardins et al.
published 1993 by John Wiley and Sons, Inc. ISBN 0-471-55463-4.  The
authors are from the the  Boston area (MIT, Harvard, Massachussetts
General Hospital), so the text reflects current American standards.

Technical Guide  No. 10: Laboratory Design Issues published 1992 by Cook
et al for the British Occupational Hygiene Society. ISBN 0 948237 11 2.
Available from H & H Scientific Consultants in the U.K. (Obvious British
flavour)  Their website address is http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/hhsc/

Occupational Hygiene Monograph No. 4:  A Literature Survey and Design
Study of Fumecupboards and Fume-Dispersal Systems, by D. Hughes 1980
(reprinted 1987).  ISBN 0-905927-50-8.  UK publication .Also available
from H& H (see above).

Good luck!

Karin Gordon
Radiation Safety Office