Hoods and radioactive contaminants -Reply

Richard,

Depending on how complex your situation is, I would recommend
the following:

1.  Most Complex:  ERDA 76-21,  Nuclear Air Cleaning Handbook:
Design, Construction, and Testing of High-Efficiency Air Cleaning
Systems for Nuclear Application.  Available through NTIS.

2.  Normally Complexity:  Industrial Ventilation Manual.  Available
through ACGIH.   -AND-    ANSI Z9.2-1979,  Fundamentals
governing the design and operation of local exhaust systems.

3.  Temporary Structures:  Westinghouse Radiological
Containment Guide (WHC-EP-0749).  Available through NTIS or
OSTI.

4.  Least Complex:  Use a close capture device or down draft
vent/table connected to a rad vacuum.  Depending on the material
that you're working with, you may have to consider critical
geometries, but we use these for both U and Pu hazards and we
don't have to worry about contaminating our installed systems.

In terms of design of these simple and effective close capture
systems, Dr. Mark Hoover at the Lovelace Respiratory Research
Institute has done a great deal of work in this area.  LLRI works with
actinide aerosols on a routine basis.  You might want to give him a
call.  505-245-1040.

'Hope this helps!
v/r
Michael