Re: NASA Re-entry -Reply

Charlie/All,

Definitely no RTGs.  The whole Observatory was powered by solar cells and
heat pumps.  As I understand it, only a few of the instruments used
"nanocurie and microcurie" amounts of radioisotopes for internal calibrations.

Sources couldn't be too large or they would interfere with the detection
systems of the Observatory.

At 12:51 PM 10/5/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Tad,
>
>While asking questions, did you find out whether there were any isotopic
heaters or
>RTGs on board?
>
>Charlie Willis
>caw@nrc.gov

Tad  Blanchard            /__ \ /___\   NASA-Goddard Space Flight Center
Parallax, Inc                  O         Code 205.9, Greenbelt, MD 20771
Sr Health Physics Tech        / \                    Phone: 301-286-9157
Assistant RSO                /___\                   Fax:   301-286-1618
                 mailto:Tad.M.Blanchard.1@GSFC.NASA.gov
    http://gsfc-aphrodite.gsfc.nasa.gov/205/205-2/Health/RADPROT.HTM