Re: Interstellar radiation spike

Subject: Your Question
   Date:  Mon, 5 Oct 1998 11:52:15 -0500 (CDT)
   From:  "Dr. John M. Horack" <horack@uncletupelo.msfc.nasa.gov>
     To:  Glenn

Thanks for the question.  Indeed this is not at the surface, but a measure
of the intensity before interacting in the atmosphere.  So no, the folks
in Hawaii weren't given a "Dental X-ray by the Cosmos." :) Indeed at an
altitude of about 50 km, all the photons had been absorbed by the
atmosphere, and an x-ray detector on the ground would have recorded no
signal whatsoever.

Had the burst been positioned over St. Louis at night, for example, rather
than Hawaii, about the only thing one may have noticed on the ground is
that the long-distance reception of KMOX would have been returned to
daytime levels temporarialy, rather than the 44-state coverage received
during the night, again due to the temporary ionizaiton increase of the
Ionosphere to daytime levels.

Cheers,

John
Dr. John M. Horack