RE: Tennessean Story Vs. Gulf Syndrome

> [...]
>
>Most people are familiar with the alleged symptoms of exposure to high
>radiation doses and may interpret the appearance of any such symptom as
>indicating they had received an exposure.  For some individuals, the ensuing
>worry and anxiety can trigger a series of real physical responses.  The
>extent of the response seems to be dependent on the individuals ability to
>cope.
>
>In examining the impact of stress and anxiety, what seems to be lacking are
>appropriate coping skills.  These do not come naturally to most people.  If
>the environment is viewed as beyond one's control, this "failure" (often
>seen as personal) can lead to chronic apathy, as seems to be the case at
>Chernobyl. From a Three Mile Island study of coping skills, it was found
>that the most effective style for managing stress was to learn to manage
>emotions.
>
>Some of the more common physical reactions to stress and anxiety include:
>*	nausea and vomiting
>*	constipation or diarrhea
>*	aches and pains like headaches, backaches, stomach aches
>*	muscle tremors and twitches
>*	chest pain
>*	difficulty breathing
>*	elevated BP and rapid heart rate
>*	shock symptoms
>*	non-specific bodily complaints
>*	sudden sweating and/or heart palpitations
>*	changes in sleep patterns appetite, and/or interest in sex
>*	easily startled by noises or unexpected touch
>*	more susceptible to colds and illnesses
>
>The gamut of emotional responses is wide and far reaching and can lead to
>real physical ailments (e.g. ulcers, heart disease, poor health from not
>taking care of oneself, etc.).  The real difficulty lies in that some
>reactions may appear totally unrelated.  Some reactions may appear
>immediately.  Some reactions may appear months later.  Some may be due to an
>underlying physical ailment requiring medical evaluation and not to recent
>events. Diagnosis can be complicated and the underlying physical ailment, if
>any, must be treated.
>
>People who are involved in emergency response or involved in war activities
>such as the Gulf War, are at risk for secondary traumatization.  Known by
>various names -- critical incident stress (CIS), compassion fatigue, battle
>fatigue, chronic environmental stress disorder, secondary or vicarious
>traumatization and "burn out", the symptoms are usually less severe than the
>stress and anxiety symptoms experienced by the members of the public who are
>not directly involved.  This is very common and in fact quite normal.
>Critical incident stress is a well-documented phenomena.  The International
>Critical Incident Stress Foundation can provide quite a bit of information
>of the stress reactions associated with traumatic experiences.  I would
>disagree with anyone who claims that war and radiological accidents are not

Dear Emelie Lamothe

I've never claimed war and radiological accident not to be traumatic
experiences. Although not an expert in stress psychology , I am familiar
with definition and the clinical picture of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
(PTSD). I am not sure the  terms you mentioned - Critical Incident Stress
etc. - are well defined and accepted by the psychiatric community.
People living near Oak Ridge nuclear fascilities were not involved in such
a trumatic experience , like the TMI or Chernobyl events. The association
of the Gulf Syndrome and stress has not been confirmed to the best of my
knowledge.
I said I don't know what those people are suffering from, I don't deny they
are suffering. I do accept the concept that "reduced" levels of coping
abilities may cause a perception of threate, leading to stress, strain and
physical complaints. This is a nice theory that may explain all the
situations I mentioned, but must be scientfically proven for every
situation. I mean that before blaming "Stress" as the cause of symptoms ,
we must show an association between the degree of stress and the severity
of symptoms (that's right - a "simple" cause and effect relationship). With
the diversity of definitions for stress and immeasurable symptomes , it is
not an easy task .
As to the last staement of your message :
>When it comes to the human body and the mind's ability to cope and >affect
our physical health, we mere humans have far to go in fully >understanding
these issues.

>Emelie Lamothe
>lamothee@aecl.ca

I agree with every single word.